Oct
14

Beyza’s Toolbox: Sticky Notes – Padlet & Linoit

Filed Under (Uncategorized) by on 14/10/2012 and tagged , ,

In this post, I would like to share two tools you might have come across before. Therefore, rather than just showing how to use them, I decided to share how I use it with my own students .

I have been using online sticky notes (padlet & linoit)  for a long time. I first came across with them two years ago when I was asked to post a message on a PLN member’s birthday wall. Then, they turned out to be such useful tools that I felt tempted to write a post on them.

What is padlet? What is linoit?

Linoit  and padlet are tools enabling users to create walls and post sticky notes on other people’s walls.  It is possible to change privacy settings of the posts and edit the posts made by your students.

How can they be used?

All you need to do is to sign up for an  account. You can also connect your facebook or gmail accounts with it  but I do not advise doing it because of security reasons.

Here are the steps to use it after signing up for an account:

1- Create a board.

2-Right click on the board and give your instruction.

3-Give the link to the board and share it with your students (or with the people you would like to collaborate with) .

4- After they write a response, if there are any grammatical or lexical errors, correct them. (You can do it with students in class as well.)

5-If you have a class blog or a wiki, get the embed code and embed your padlet board on it. If you are using a course management system like moodle or blackboard, share the link of the board there.

How I have used them

As I mentioned previously, I have used online sticky notes  with students having different proficiency levels. So far, I and my students have used  it for  three  main purposes:

1-Vocabulary Revision: I created boards for each unit we covered in the coursebook and assigned them to groups of students. They edited the boards with their group members and wrote  detailed descriptions for the  new words. They also added different sections like collocations, example sentences, and synonyms and antonyms. Some of them added photos. Here are some examples :

• This one is created by my students in the elementary level. We used it before the exam.
  • This is another one created by my elementary students to revise vocabulary of a unit after its completion.
  • This one is created by my upper intermediate students. (We went over some of the mistakes there in class.)

2-Pre/Post Reading or Listening Activities: Before or after a reading or a listening activity, I asked the students a question related to the unit. They posted individual sticky notes answering the question posted. Then I shared the wall on twitter using a relevant hashtag (#). Then, people following the hashtag I used on twitter also wrote their ideas on the wall. This really motivated my students and exposed them to the views of other people. Here are some examples:

• This wall was created as a post reading activity.  After reading a text on architecture, my students wrote their ideas about the things which make a building attractive. Then, other people (probably architects) joined the discussion by sharing their ideas.
3-Feedback/Data Collection: If you are doing a talk or conducting research, you can use it for gathering data about your research or session. Here is an example:
  • This one was created by me to gather data about the ideas of PLN members on the effect of PLNs on professional development.
In short, I see linoit and padlet as  very useful tools for classroom use and try using them as much as I can.  I have some questions for you. Please feel free to post your responses as comments.
  1. Do you use linoit or padlet with your students? If yes, what kind of activities do you do with your students using them?
  2. If you do not use them, do you think that it is possible to use them in your own context? If yes, how do you think you can use them in your own  teaching/ training context?

6 Responses to “Beyza’s Toolbox: Sticky Notes – Padlet & Linoit”

1.   edrd8310aajt Says:

Thank you for this great tool Beyza:)
    Tuba

Reply

2.   ilknur Says:

Beyza
    Thanks a lot for this great tool. I found it really interesting and inspiring.
    this is my first time with Linoit and I believe that it will be useful in my classes, because I love projects; so this will be a good opportunity for each and every student to create a board and reflect on the things they have studied.
    Thanks again.

Reply

•   beyzayilmaz Says:

Dear İlknur,

You are very welcome. It is a wonderful idea to use it as a reflective tool with students! :) I will also try it.

Thanks for sharing and dropping by ;)

Reply

3.   Joanne White Says:

Beyza, I had never heard of Linoit. I will go and check it out now. Thanks for your great ideas! Joanne :)

Reply

4.   beyzayilmaz Says:

Dear Joanne,

Thanks for dropping by. It really is a fabulous tool that can be used with different types of learners. I would like to learn more about your linoit experience after you try it on your own and with your students. ;)

Reply